Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's YOUR Worst Running Experience?

Did you see "Biggest Loser" last night? I'm getting emotionally invested. I was so stressed when Kristin gained a pound and almost cried when her mom went home. Kristin's check is in the mail--the 100 pound mark is next week and I can't wait.
Anyways...the challenge this week was to run a half marathon, WITHOUT any training. Difficult! However, I guess this was filmed in the winter when most places had snow because a lot of the contestants had to run the 13.1 miles on an indoor track! I can't even imagine the misery of running for over two hours on an indoor track. Tara's track was only 1/10 a mile for each lap---that means TEN laps for a mile. I seriously can not even image that form of torture.

In college our gym's indoor track was 1/10 of a mile too. In late January when there was still snow on the ground we also did our soccer running on the track. The memories of it are so horrible...spending an hour doing intervals on a tiny track is seriously just miserable. I've never run a half marathon on that track, but I've run for hours. One year our fitness test upon return was the Cooper test--- 1.75 miles in 12 minutes. And we had to run it on the indoor track and if you didn't make it, you ran it until you made it. I had just gotten over mono at this point, but was never going to make this anyways- I am not a fast endurance runner, just an endurance runner. Anyways, I didn't make it the first time, or the second time, or the third time, or the fourth time. Neither did half the team- we only got to stop because another team had track time. That day I ran about 80 laps on that indoor track and the thought of it makes me want to throw up! So, I can only imagine the bajillion laps the Biggest Loser contestants ran to finish a halfy.

This certainly wasn't the worst running experience of my life, but it's certainly up there. The time I drank chocolate milk before a surprise fitness test was a pretty bad day too! So, what is your worst running experience (I know you tried to block it out, but let's all relish in the pain?!)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I was on the track team in high school, and I think every track meet and every practice was my worst running experience. I ran the mile, and I HATED it so much. I'd be going around the track thinking, "Why am I doing this to myself? I don't enjoy it one little bit!" I quit after one year.

Olde Town Style Guide said...

I'll def. have to give the worst running experience to my high school field hockey days. Good lord...you would have thought our coach was more interested in having a cross country team. I remember some really hot days during the beginning of the season. We hadn't trained like we should have and running 5 miles for the first time ever did not feel good. We cried, we moaned and we certainly hurt. a lot. For some reason all I can do is look back on those days and smile now?!

Sarah said...

I don't run. Unless someone is chasing me, you won't see me running. Any running for me is bad.

Marlene said...

I loved the half marathon challenge last night. Amazing that almost everyone was able to finish it. I was super proud, especially of Kristin and her Mom. Awesomeness!

I can't begin to imagine running that many laps on a track. I'm dizzy just thinking about it.

I can't really think of a 'worst' running experience. They haven't all been good, but none come to mind as particularly terrible.

Helga Marie Bee said...

That's easy, trying to run three miles in basic training. It was 96plus humidity, (and I am a california girl, so its not like I know humidity) wearing boots, fatigue bottoms and a PT top... yeah it sucked!!!

Kristen said...

I have now run 2 half marathons and still feel like I am not ready for a whole one. Maybe next fall...I want to lose another 10lbs and hopefully improve my running.

I tried a couple different fuel belts and really like this one (http://www.rei.com/product/735256)
I can add/remove fuel bottles and it fits nicely on my waist. I really like REI b/c you can buy it, try it (don't drink from it just fill it up), and return/exchange it if you don't like it.

I'm really looking forward to hearing about your training and runs for your marathon. You are my inspiration
:-)

Marlene said...

RYC: I do wear a fuel belt. I like that I can carry water AND gatorade... however, I find the thing HIGHLY uncomfortable. I can never get it to sit right on my waist/hips and I am constantly adjusting.